John has a diverse practice built on more than 15 years’ experience in global and national law firms. As a solicitor-advocate, he was listed in Best Lawyers of Australia 2021 for Government Practice and he was recommended in Doyles Guide 2019 for commercial litigation.
John’s practice focuses on commercial litigation and public law (Commonwealth and Australian Capital Territory).
In the Commonwealth sphere, he has acted for a wide variety of Ministers and agencies under multiple statutory schemes canvassing both merits and judicial review of administrative action, complex commercial disputes, and civil claims (including Comcover and Dust Disease Tribunal matters).
In the Territory, he has acted in planning matters, property (including strata) disputes, contract and equitable claims, and building and construction litigation (including Security of Payment legislation and the statutory warranties in the ACT Building Act).
John regularly presents on legal ethics
Called to the Bar
Masters of Government and Commercial Law (with merit) (ANU)
Admitted as a legal practitioner
Bachelor of Laws and Asian Studies (Japanese) (ANU)
02 6181 2097
Anti-dumping / trade
Building and construction
Commissions and Inquiries
Human Rights Law
Planning and Development
Public / Administrative law
- Rosa & the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (Residential Tenancies)  ACAT 33
- Morozow v ACTPLA & Ors (Administrative Review)  ACAT 79 (acted for developer in planning dispute)
- Kersten and Secretary, Department of Employment  AATA 1052 (Acted for the Secretary)
- Jones and Australian Federal Police  AATA 329(acted for AFP)
- Gracie v The Owners Units Plan 3411 & ors (Unit Titles)  ACAT 3 (acted for developer in case involving application to appoint administrator to Owners Corporation);
- Archerfield Airport and Minister for Infrastructure & Regional Development  AATA 489 (acted for the Minister)
- Manny v Sims, Parberry, O’Keefe and Smith  ACTSC 183;
- Wagdy Hanna v National Library  ACTCA 24 (acted for the National Library of Australia on a security for costs application in the ACT Court of Appeal).
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited v Manny (No.6)  ACTSC 261 (acted for Receivers and ANZ);
- Red Bull (Australia) Pty Ltd and Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry  AATA 157
- Mourikis, Comcare v Patrick Operations Pty Ltd  NSWDDT 6 (acted for Comcare).
- SZGRL v Minister for Immigration & Anor  FMCA 632 (acted for the Minister)
- He and Minister for Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs  AATA 1096